Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tia's Story

I can remember it all, like it was yesterday... I know it wasn't... many seasons have passed...

My father called me and my siblings to the courtyard, in front of our house.  We all knew he had been rather upset lately over the westerners invading his lands.  We had strangers invade our lands before, but my father had always managed to keep it from turning into war.  He had a gift of a silver tongue, manipulating people to his will, talking circles around other leaders... my mother warned him it would catch up to him one day.

"The westerners will not stop at our borders." my father said, clearly troubled.  I struggled to keep my attention on him, but my eyes were drawn to the dark creature sitting astride a horse behind him.  I had never seen such a person, skin black as coal, hair like snow.  Suddenly his eyes locked with mine, and I blushed then ducked to hide behind my brother.

"This man... has promised me, I would win the war, I would not fall to these strangers."  My eyes went back to my father, purposely avoiding the stranger's eyes.  "However, he set a price... one of my own flesh and blood offspring in exchange for this promise."  My brows knitted at these words but I shrugged it off.  I was the baby, pampered and spoiled, not even of age yet.  "He will pick which one he wants, and that one will go with him, we must not lose our home... "  His voice broke again.  "It pains me to do this... but he gets to choose..."  

I still wasn't too concerned.  I bounced on my toes as I watched the stranger walk up and down the line of my siblings.  A couple of my sisters actually primped theirselves slightly.  He turned and got back on his horse, having not even come all the way down to where me and my brother was.  "I want the youngest." he said, his voice deep and oozing authority, as he thrust a finger directly at me.

I was still in disbelief as my father gathered what few things the man said I needed, just standing there.  "Tia..." my father finally addressed me directly as he handed me the bag with my things.  "Tia, my darling child.... I am so sorry..."  To his credit, he at least sounded remorseful.. but I had heard him too many times try to pull the wool over others eyes to believe him.  I refused to look at him as I snatched the bag, then flung myself into my mother's arms, sobbing, begging her to not let him do this to me.
"Tia-ith.." she whispered as she hugged me.  "Your father did what he thought was best..."  I couldn't believe my ears as I stared at her, but she wouldn't look at me, instead she glared at my father as she unwrapped her arms and turned me to face the stranger and gave me a gentle shove toward him.  "Take care of her... " she said firmly, I had never heard my mother speak to a man that way.

The man smirked at her and shrugged as he reached down and roughly grabbed my arm, dragging me in front of his saddle.  "Tia is her name?" he asked as he wrapped an arm around my waist then grabbed the reins with his other hand.  "Yes... Tiamal is her full name but she hasn't grown into it yet."  With that my mother finally looked at me, and smiled through her own tears.  "Make your family proud." she whispered then turned and took off for our home.  "Tia-ith is a child's name..." he hissed in my ear as he whirled his horse around and nodded to our father.  "Your debt is payed...  good luck with your wife..."  With a mocking laugh he kicked his heels into his ride's stomach and we took off.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, that guy who took Tia seems scary. What happens to Tia? =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually this was the character background for an elf I played in an rp sim. Never took the story too far because I wanted to see what happened with the rp. Since the demon is no longer around I may work on it... be interesting to see what happened to Tia eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Yeah, would be really interesting to fund out what happens to Tia, so that guy was a demon...

    ReplyDelete