Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Errant thoughts

I am restless.  Not unusual for me.... Huffing I roll over and throw the covers back, and sit up, ruffling my wings.  Hearing a small sigh, I tense and look over my shoulder, then smile to myself.  She fights it so hard,but inside, she's a cat.  Even now, she's curled up, her ears relaxed, her tail laying against the mattress.  Standing up, I tug on my jeans and top from the night before, and cover her back up, making sure she is warm.
A fond smile crosses my lips as I run my fingers over the top of her head and across her shoulder, then pull the cover over her shoulder.  I bend down and brush my lips to her forehead before padding in bare feet to the balcony, and looking out over the city.
Fifty years of never stopping, of never sleeping... and in my new body, I need rest.  I don't like it, it makes me feel weak.  I jump to the railing on the balcony and spread my wings, before leaping, enjoying the air running through my feathers as I glide to the street.
Once I land, I tuck my wings back, and stretch, almost toppling over, its taking some getting used to, these new appendages.  I feel a rush of anger as I think about my former self.  WHile I understand my ... well I guess he's my father... he had no choice if I was to stay in this life... I almost wish he had made me a dog.
I take off running toward my new home, the church.  Once inside, I concentrate for a moment, listening, and find the building empty.  Sighing I plop on a pew and allow myself to drift in memories.  So much happened... so many changes.... Here, alone, I can feel myself relax, and I can feel my head begin to droop, so I stretch out on the pew and begin to doze.

1 comment: